The International House of Japan
In view of the importance of the protection of personal data in today's highly developed information society, the International House of Japan (IHJ), with registered office in 5-11-16 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0032, Japan, will protect the personal data of members, guests, visitors and subscribers to its services based upon the following policy.
- IHJ will abide by the Japanese Personal Data Protection Law and other relevant laws and regulations and will continuously strive to improve its protection regime.
- IHJ will not utilize personal data beyond the intended purpose of use without permission, except for legal duties, as set out further below.
- IHJ will collect, store and use – in other words, process - personal data in a fair, transparent and lawful way.
- IHJ will indicate to members, guests, visitors and subscribers through its corporate communication media the intended use of their personal data in advance when processing it.
- IHJ will not disclose or provide personal data to third parties without the consent of members, guests, visitors and subscribers, except for legal duties or for the purposes set out at Article 8 of “Use of personal information”.
- IHJ will strive to keep the personal data of members, guests, visitors and subscribers accurate and updated within the scope of prescribed use.
- IHJ will disclose personal data in accordance with legal procedures upon inquiry from that member, guest, visitor and subscriber and correct it as indicated.
- IHJ will strive to prevent any accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure of, or access to, personal data, and will implement security measures against computer viruses. When IHJ consigns the handling of personal data to a third party, IHJ will ensure that such third party is committed to appropriate confidentiality and security measures for the protection of data.
- Having established the personal data protection rules and regulations, IHJ will ensure that corporate officers and employees recognize the importance of the protection of personal data through in-house education programs and are committed to appropriate confidentiality obligations.
- A corporate officer, the General Manager of Administration, is responsible for personal data protection for IHJ.
Use of personal information
IHJ processes personal information (or personal data) for the purposes of communicating with individuals who have expressed an interest in it or who are members, guests, visitors or subscribers. IHJ will process personal information in pursuance of its legitimate interests and for specific purposes, which are the following:
- For providing membership services, including application, renewals, subscriptions, the booking or reservation of facilities and other ancillary purposes.
- For maintaining ordinary record-keeping for members, guests, visitors and subscribers to its services.
- For providing information concerning IHJ programs, services and events.
- For sending questionnaires and other direct marketing materials aimed at business improvement and service development.
- For identifying, and responding to the needs of, IHJ members.
- For communicating with members, guests, visitors and subscribers to its services regarding the matters listed in this section.
- For complying with the legal obligations to which IHJ is subject, including those imposed on IHJ as a non-profit organization, such as submitting various reports to the supervisory authority i.e. Cabinet Office of the Japanese government.
- For providing personal information to commercial partners such as vendors and payment/facilities management service providers at the minimum necessary for IHJ operations, such as 1) providing address labels to the outsourced vender to send direct marketing materials; 2) handling payments of annual dues and monthly House accounts; 3) handling hotel reservations or the use of other facilities such as banquet rooms and seminar rooms; and 4) sending a letter of introduction to overseas affiliated institutions or to libraries at members’ requests.
- For implementing smoothly transactions and contracts.
Categories of Personal information
The categories of personal information that IHJ collects, holds and may share include:
- Personal information such as name, spouse’s name, home address, work address, nationality, telephone number, profession, and email address.
- Details of bank accounts, credit and debit cards.
- IP addresses as a part of log-in records to our “Members Site”.
Retention of Personal information
All personal information is kept securely at all times. Paper and electronic records have appropriate security measures in place ensuring that confidentiality is maintained. Personal information is only kept for the time required to undertake the purposes it is used for, or for longer where a legal obligation requires IHJ to do so.
Sharing of Personal information and transfers to third countries
IHJ does not undertake any automated profiling.
Rights relating to personal information
Any EU individual whose data are processed by IHJ is entitled to certain rights. These rights are as follows:
- be informed of how IHJ is processing personal information and obtain a copy in accordance with the procedure set out below for the “retained personal data”;
- have any personal information corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- have any personal information erased (the right to be forgotten) in certain circumstances – e.g. where it is no longer needed by IHJ for the purpose for which it was collected or the individual has withdrawn his or her consent;
- restrict the use of personal information in certain circumstances;
- object to the processing of personal information in certain circumstances – e.g for direct marketing purposes.
The procedure to request the IHJ to disclose the "retained personal data"
- Who is eligible to submit a request: members and all individuals whose data are processed by IHJ.
- Procedure: a written request should be submitted. In the case of using e-mail, such requests should be sent from the e-mail address which is registered with the IHJ. (In case of a request to change/correct/add personal information by telephone, IHJ will check requestors’ identity by asking some questions.)
Please contact the following with regard to the exercise of the rights listed above, for the disclosure of retained personal data, and for any other inquiries, requests, and claims concerning personal information. IHJ will respond in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Law, other relevant laws, and the IHJ rules and regulations.
In case of any concerns about the way IHJ is processing personal information, IHJ encourages members, guests and subscribers to get in touch. For any resident in the EU, concerns can also be expressed with an EU Supervisory Authority.
International House of Japan
5-11-16 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0032, Japan
Phone: 81-3-3470-3212 (9:00 am to 5:00 pm JST, Monday to Friday)
E-mail: member#i-house.or.jp (please replace # with @)
Requests for data change/correction/addition: c/o Membership Office